Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Gluten & Dairy Free Chocolate Chip Cookies


My family gave me a gluten free cook book for Christmas and my girls were really wanting to try a recipe from it.  We found a chocolate chip cookie recipe and decided to give it a go.  I made a few changes, one being using a gluten free baking flour mix.  My favorite that I have found so far is from Pillsbury.  If you use a gluten free flour that is not a mix you will need to add 1 tsp xanthan gum.



And I used dairy free chocolate chips.  


So the girls loved these.  I thought it was a good base recipe but needed work.  They were very sugary - almost like a sugar cookie with chocolate chips.  The girls thought that because they were gluten free that they were healthy.  No, with all that sugar, definitely not healthy but cookies that mommy can eat!

Ingredients:
1 cup vegetable shortening (next time I will try bacon grease)
1 cup granulated sugar (Would cut back to 1/2 cup next time)
1/2 brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups plus 2 Tablespoons flour mixture
1/2 tsp salt
12 oz chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Lightly grease cookie sheet or use a silpat baking mat.  

Beat shortening and sugars with an electric mixer.  Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.  

Add dry ingredients, mix until combined.  Add chocolate chips and stir.

Drop heaping spoonfuls of dough onto cookie sheet.  Bake for 8-10 minutes until light golden brown.  I had to cook for 10 minutes in my oven.  Cool cookies on tray for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.  


Enjoy!


No comments: