Thursday, February 19, 2015

Bone Broth


Sounds weird doesn't it?  Bone broth.  It really is the best stuff in the world.  Bone broth is an excellent source of minerals and is known to boost the immune system and improve digestion.  After being diagnosed with Hashimoto's (immune system attacking my thyroid) I started drinking or using bone broth on a regular basis.  Here is how I make mine.
Ingredients:
  • 2 pounds or more of bones from a healthy source.  Organic grass fed for beef.  Whole Foods carries them in their frozen section.  For chicken, I use rotisserie carcass we've cooked.  I just put them in the freezer until I have 2.  
  • 1 onion
  • 2 carrots
  • 2 celery stalks
  • 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 1 Tablespoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon peppercorns
  • 2 cloves of garlic for the last 30 minutes of cooking
  • 1 gallon of water per 2 pounds of bones
Directions:
If you are using raw bones, especially beef bones, it improves flavor to roast them in the oven first. I place them in a roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes at 350.  If you are using scrap bones you've saved in the freezer you can skip this step. 

Place the bones in a large stock pot. Pour filtered water over the bones and add the vinegar. Let sit for 20-30 minutes in the cool water. The acid helps make the nutrients in the bones more available.

Rough chop and add the vegetables, except the garlic to the pot. Add salt and peppercorns. 
Now, bring the broth to a boil. Once it has reached a vigorous boil, reduce to a simmer and simmer until done.  Any froth that appears at the top, scrape off.  I don't ever have any with the organic/grass fed bones.  For beef stock cook 48 hours.  For chicken stock cook 24 hours.  I start mine on the stove until it has simmered quite a while.  Once I need to leave the house or go to bed I switch it to a crockpot and finish the cook in there.
During the last 30 minutes, add the garlic.
Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Strain using a strainer to remove all the bits of bone and vegetable.  

When cool enough, store in glass mason jars in the fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze for later use. 


This is great to drink warm during the winter months or to use in soups.  I love to have a warm cup with my breakfast!



Give this a try, your soups will thank you for it!  ;)

No comments: