Thursday, September 25, 2008

Biscuit Topped Green Bean and Beef Casserole



All I have to say is that I was shocked at how good this was. I found this recipe in a Pillsbury cookbook that I bought in the grocery store in September 2001. (or at least that is the date on the front cover) I also found the Taco Blossom recipe in there as well. This casserole reminds me of something that would have been eaten regularly in the 70's. Give it a try, we really liked it.

Ingredients:
1 pound lean ground beef
2 cups Frozen cut green beans
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup milk
1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained
1 (2.8 oz) can french fried onions
1 (12 oz) can refrigerated biscuits

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350. Spray 8x8 square glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Brown beef in skillet over medium heat until cooked through. Drain.

Add beans, soup, water chestnuts and milk; mix well.



Cook 8-10 minutes until bubbly; stirring occassionally. Stir in half the onions. Taste the mixture at this point and see if it needs more seasoning. I added some salt, pepper and garlic powder.



Spoon mixture into the baking dish.

Cut each biscuit into quarters (I used kitchen shears) and place biscuit pieces points up over beef mixture.



Bake for 15 minutes. Slightly crush remaining half of onions and sprinkle over biscuits. Bake an additional 10-15 minutes or until biscuits are deep golden brown.

No comments: