Saturday, July 12, 2008

Chicken Tortilla Soup


I promise you this is the easiest recipe and it tastes wonderful. I only have one photo as I was rushing to make this. I had a ladies night on Thursday and I wanted Jordan to have some sort of dinner to eat.

First off, it's a crock pot/slow cooker recipe. Yay!! :) I LOVE recipes that I can use my crock pot. This recipe freezes well. I recommend eating this the night you make it and using a freezer bag to freeze the rest so you can have a nice dinner on a night you don't have time to cook!

Ingredients:
1 onion chopped
1 can chili beans
1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans
2 (10 oz) cans diced tomatoes
8 oz can tomato sauce
1 bottle of beer - I like to use a darker beer like Newcastle
1 package of taco seasoning
3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
Shredded cheese - we use cheddar or mexican - whatever you have on hand
Sour cream
Tortilla chips

Directions:
Place the onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, beer, taco seasoning and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Stir to combine. Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover and cook for 5 hours.

Remove chicken breasts from the soup and allow to cool long enough to handle. Shred chicken and place back into soup for another 2 hours or until ready to serve.

Serve topped with cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream and tortilla chips.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I made this for dinner a couple of nights ago. Very good! And incredibly easy! Brett loved it and we have enough left over in the freezer for another quick meal, just like you said. The only thing is, our crock pot wasn't big enough to hold all of the ingredients - so I had to remove about a half cup of liquid to keep it from overflowing. That's a lot of soup! I'm having some for lunch today...Yum!