Sunday, February 27, 2011

Blue Ribbon Chili



Anyone who really knows me knows that I don't like chili that much. As a child that was one meal I didn't have to eat and could have a bowl of cereal instead. I also didn't have to eat sweet and sour meatballs. The smell of those two meals cooking would send me gagging and running to my room to get away from the smell. Blech!

Now that I am an adult I do like some chili recipes. I have only ever made one chili recipe because I was afraid I wouldn't like it. Well, I overcame my fear and tried a new chili recipe. This chili, to me, is very similar to what you would order in a diner. It is a hearty chili and a great to eat on a cold winter night. I still like MY chili recipe better but I would make this again. For you chili lovers out there, definitely give this recipe a try!

I found this on allrecipes.com and used a slow cooker instead of cooking it on the stove. I also made Beer Bread in my bread machine to serve with this chili. I'll get that recipe up soon. :)

Ingredients:
2 pounds ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
2 1/2 cups tomato sauce (I used spaghetti sauce)
1 (8 ounce) jar salsa
4 tablespoons chili seasoning mix
1 (15 ounce) can light red kidney beans
1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
(I only used one can of beans b/c that is what I had!)

In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the ground beef and the onion and saute for 10 minutes, or until meat is browned and onion is tender. Using a slotted spoon, add the beef/onion mixture to a slow cooker. Add the ground black pepper, garlic salt, tomato sauce, salsa, chili seasoning mix and kidney beans. Mix well, and cook on low 5-6 hours or until hot and bubbly.

Serve with crispy bread and a salad. Frito scoops also go nicely with this chili if you want something with a little extra crunch. :) Enjoy!

No comments: