Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Stefanie's Chili



Well, actually it's not my chili. It's real name is Stratford's Sweet Chili from a Crockpot Cookbook. But it's the only chili recipe that I make! When I was little I HATED chili. Really, really hated it. The smell of it cooking would make me gag. That was one of the meals that I was allowed to eat something else for dinner if my parents were eating chili. I am still not the biggest fan of most chili but I really like this one. You must make garlic bread to eat with this - this is a must!!! I promise it won't be as good without it!

Ingredients:
1 can (19 oz) Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 can (19 oz) Red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
1 can (28 oz) Chopped tomatoes with herbs and spices
1 can (10 oz) Corn kernels, drained
2 Carrots, peeled & diced
2 Large garlic cloves, minced
1 Red onion, finely chopped
1 cup Ketchup
¼ cup Liquid honey
3 Tbsp Chili Powder
½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
1 green pepper diced
1 yellow pepper diced
1 red pepper diced
Sour Cream
Cheddar Cheese, grated

Directions:
In slow cooker, combine chickpeas, kidney beans, tomatoes, corn, carrots, garlic & red onion. In a bowl combine ketchup, honey, chili powder, and cayenne; mix well and pour into slow cooker. Stir to combine.

Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-6 hours, until hot and bubbling. Add green, yellow & red pepper and cook on high for an additional 20-25 minutes.



Serve in bowls with a dollop of sour cream and grated cheddar cheese.

No comments: