Sunday, April 11, 2010

Coconut Cake



We had friends over for Easter dinner this year and Jordan asked if I would make a coconut cake for dessert. I didn't even know he liked coconut cake! :) So, I set out to find a recipe as I've never made one before - and honestly I don't think I've ever tried a coconut cake before either. I found one on The Food Network by Paula Deen. Can't go wrong with Paula Deen, right?

We liked this cake, although I thought the cake was a bit crumbly. I may have over cooked it and it calls for 3 layers and I only made two. I would make this cake again but would make a few changes. I'd try the 3 layers (only had two 9" pans!) and would add coconut extract instead of vanilla to both the cake and the frosting.

Ingredients:
Cake:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
3 cups sifted self-rising flour
1 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (I would use coconut extract next time)

Filling:
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream
4 tablespoons milk
1/2 cup flaked, sweetened coconut

Frosting:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar or 1 tablespoon white corn syrup
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup water
2 egg whites
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (Again, I'd use coconut extract instead)

Directions for cake:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) cake pans. I only had two 9" pans so I only had two layers for my cake. Using an electric mixer, cream butter until fluffy. Add sugar and continue to cream well for 6 to 8 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour and milk alternately to creamed mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Add vanilla and continue to beat until just mixed. Divide batter equally among prepared pans. Level batter in each pan by holding pan 3 or 4 inches above counter, then dropping it flat onto counter. Do this several times to release air bubbles and assure you of a more level cake. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until done. Cool in pans 5 to 10 minutes. Invert cakes onto cooling racks.

Directions for the Filling:

Stir together sugar, sour cream, milk, and coconut in a bowl until well blended. Place the first cake layer onto pedestal. Using the wrong end of a wooden spoon, poke holes approximately 1-inch apart until entire cake has been poked.



Spread a third of filling mixture on cake layer. (I poured half since there were only 2 layers)



Top with second layer, repeat process. Top with last layer and repeat process again. My top cake was bigger than the bottom but I didn't realize that until I already had it stacked. Oops!



Cook's Note: As each layer is stacked, stick them with toothpicks to prevent cake from shifting. (I didn't need to do this)

Directions for frosting:

Place sugar, cream of tartar or corn syrup, salt, water, and egg whites in the top of a double boiler. Beat with a handheld electric mixer for 1 minute. Place pan over boiling water, being sure that boiling water does not touch the bottom of the top pan. Beat constantly on high speed with electric mixer for 7 minutes.



Beat in vanilla. Frost the top and sides of the cake. Looking a little lopsided. Maybe I should take a cake decorating class. :)



Sprinkle top and sides of cake with coconut. I found out that working with coconut is great - it covers all the flaws!!



You can leave as is or decorate as you'd like. Since it was Easter I decided to decorate with jelly beans and peeps!



Enjoy!

1 comment:

Carmen said...

Hey Stefanie - coconut cake is my favorite! After I had that piece at Mo's Diner, I had to make my own! My recipe is very close to yours, although for the frosting I just use Cool Whip! It makes it really light and perfect for summer. Unfortunately, Brett doesn't like coconut, so whenever I make it, I have to eat it all! Next time, I'll save half for the Duggans!