Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Murphy's Hot Hamburger



I was looking for something new to make the other day and ran across this recipe on Pioneer Woman. I'm not normally into food that has a lot of gravy poured over it but this really caught my eye. I really liked it but Jordan wasn't such a fan. It is a very brown meal and Jordan likes colorful plates of food. :) I served it with steamed broccoli & a side salad but that didn't seem to help him much. Oh well, I thought it was really good and would make it again!

Ingredients:
1 pound Ground Beef
1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
1 Tablespoon Onion Powder
1 teaspoon Seasoned Salt
5 Tablespoons Flour
2 cans (14 Oz. Can) Beef Broth OR 4 Cups Water With Beef Bouillon
5 whole Large Potatoes (I used 3 and had plenty for the two of us)
1 Tablespoon Oil, Or As Needed
Salt And Pepper, to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Slice potatoes into fries. Place on a large baking sheet. Pour about 1 tablespoon of oil over the fries and toss with fingers to coat evenly. Sprinkle fries with seasoning of choice. I used seasoned salt. Place in the oven and bake for about 45 minutes or until golden & crispy.



In a mixing bowl, mix hamburger, garlic, seasoned salt, onion powder and salt and pepper. Mix well with hands. Form 4 large patties. Place in a large preheated skillet over medium heat, preferably one with deep sides. Brown burgers on each side until done.



Remove burgers from the skillet and place on a plate covered in paper towels. Do not drain the grease. Add the flour a tablespoon at a time, stirring with a whisk. You have enough when the grease is all absorbed and the flour mixture gets thick and bubbly. I didn't have much grease so I had to add some olive oil. Slowly add the broth a little at a time, whisking constantly. Bring to a simmer and allow to thicken.

To serve, place an ample amount of fries on the plate. I poured gravy on the fries, placed hamburger on then more gravy on top of the hamburger.



Enjoy!

No comments: