Monday, October 27, 2008

Butternut Squash Soup



I love most vegetables. Squash is not one of them. I started giving my daughter squash when she was starting solid foods and she loved it. I was in Trader Joes the other day and they have squash that is already cut up and ready to cook. So, I thought I'm sure I can find a recipe to use this squash in. I did a little searching and found this squash soup recipe on allrecipes.com. All three of us really liked this soup. It is very easy yet is full of flavor - I've already made this twice!

The original recipe serves 6 people so I halved it since it's just two of us. You can click here to see the original amounts.

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons chopped onion
2 tablespoons margarine
3 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash (1 pound)
1-1/2 cups water
2 cubes chicken bouillon
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese

In a large saucepan, saute onions in margarine until tender. Add squash, water, bouillon, marjoram, black pepper and cayenne pepper. (Cut your squash in smaller pieces than I have below.)



Bring to boil; cook 20 minutes, or until squash is tender. (Too much of my water boiled out and I had to add water to the soup in the end so it wasn't so thick)



Puree squash and cream cheese in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth.



Return to saucepan, and heat through. Do not allow to boil. Serve with toasted bread.

No comments: