Sunday, August 24, 2008

Apple Enchilada Dessert



I found this recipe on allrecipes.com The recipe called for canned apple pie filling which, I think is gross. So I made my own apple pie filling with fresh apples. I pretty much followed the recipe otherwise.


Ingredients
3 granny smith apples
1 tablespoon flour
5 (8 inch) flour tortillas
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup margarine
1 cup white sugar, divided
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup water

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Peel and chop apples. Toss in a bowl with 1/2 cup of the sugar and the flour.



Spoon fruit evenly onto all tortillas, sprinkle with cinnamon.



Roll up tortillas and place seam side down on 9x13 baking pan. The recipe says to use 6 toritllas but as you can see I could only fit in 5. If you have a larger pan I'd use that because I did have a little bit of apple filling left over. (At this point I covered with saran wrap and put in the refrigerator until I was ready to bake)



Bring margarine, sugars and water to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly for 3 minutes. (Once the sauce cooled a bit I put it in a container so I could finish the dessert once we were at the party.)



Pour sauce evenly over tortillas. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. (I ended up having to bake for 30 minutes to get the tortillas nice and crispy on the outside.

I cut mine in half and served with vanilla ice cream. This is a very easy dessert and tastes great!



Give it a try!

No comments: