Sunday, November 8, 2015

Sweet Potato Pizza


A family member sent me this recipe when I first found out that I couldn't eat gluten anymore.  It's from iFOODreal.com and if you love sweet potatoes, definitely give this a try.  Whether you eat gluten or not.  Mine didn't turn out like pizza though.  I felt it was more like a eggplant parmesan but with sweet potatoes instead of the eggplant.  Seriously delicious though.  I ate half the pan in one sitting!

Below has the changes to the recipe that I made.  To see the original, click here.  

Ingredients:
3 sweet potatoes
1 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2.5 oz mozzarella cheese (to keep this dairy free I used Vegan Gormet Shreds, melts nicely)

Toppings: really whatever you like, here is what I did
1/2 pound ground sausage
handful chopped broccoli (not sure I'd add this again with the meat)
sliced mushrooms
cooking spray
3/4 cup pizza sauce

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Spray baking tray with cooking spray.  Wash and dry sweet potatoes.  Cut off the ends.  Slice each potato lengthwise into 1/8 of an inch thick slices.  I tried using my mandoline for these but really struggled getting them sliced all the way through.  So I ended up doing most of them by hand.  Put in a large bowl and toss with olive oil, garlic, paprika, salt and pepper.  

Lay potato slices in a single layer, making sure they overlap by 1/8 of an inch.  

Add your veggies.  Spray the veggies with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Bake for 20 minutes.  


While the potatoes and veggies are in the oven, start cooking your sausage until completely cooked through.  

After the sweet potatoes have been baked for 20 minutes, pull them out and sprinkle with a handful of your cheese.  Drizzle tomato sauce on top.  Sprinkle turkey pieces and cover with remaining cheese.  Return pizza to oven and broil on hight for 8-10 minutes until cheese is bubbly.  

Cut into slices and serve. 

Mine did not hold together enough to be able to pick it up and eat it with your hands.  We ate ours with a knife and fork.  The next day, while cold, it was much easier to pick up and eat with your hands.  This was a great dinner and would even be good served as an appetizer.  I am looking forward to making this again and playing with the toppings.  Yum!

Enjoy!

No comments: