Thursday, September 17, 2015

Pumpkin Chili


Once we get close to Fall, it seems all the food in the stores start showing up as pumpkin this and pumpkin that.  I am going to jump on that bandwagon too, but I want REAL pumpkin in the food I'm eating.  Not just flavored to taste like pumpkin.  Pumpkin is really healthy for you.  It's loaded with fiber, vitamin C and beta carotene, which converts to vitamin A in our bodies.  If you are using a canned pumpkin, just make sure to not grab the canned pumpkin pie filling as that has a ton of added sugar.

My friend Maureen told me about this recipe from Wellness Mama last year and I've just now gotten around to getting it up on the blog.  It is such a yummy recipe.  I doubled the recipe this time otherwise my family of 4 eats it all in one night with nothing leftover.  My oldest daughter has requested this in her lunch at school for the past two days.  She loves it and it keeps her fuller longer, plus I know it's packed full of veggies and nutrients her body needs!

Ingredients: (doubled version)
2 pounds ground beef (we use grass fed)
4 onions (I felt like this was too many onions.  Husband and daughter thought it was fine but if you're not a big onion fan keep it to 2)
2 cans diced tomatoes (16oz each)
2 cans tomato sauce (15 oz each)
2 cans pureed pumpkin (15 oz each)
2 cups beef broth (read labels for gluten if you want this to be gluten free)
2 tbsp chili powder
4 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cinnamon
1 avocado (garnish)
cheese and sour cream (garnish and use vegan to keep dairy free)
sliced green onions (garnish, and I forgot these)

Directions:
Brown the beef in a large pot.  While beef is browning dice your onions.  Add onions to the pot and cook until soft.  Add the pumpkin, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, stock and spices.  Stir to combine.  Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until heated through.  I usually keep on low for 30 minutes to really give the flavors some time to meld together.  Served topped with shredded cheese, sour cream and diced avocados.

Enjoy!




1 comment:

marye said...

Made this tonight and everyone, including Reece, loved it! We added black beans and served it with crushed tortilla chips in addition to cheese and sour cream. Thanks for the recommendation!