Thursday, May 31, 2012

Aubrey's Healthy Cookie Dough


So, this might sound weird, but you make these to intentionally have raw cookie dough on hand.  Crazy, right?  But they are soooo good and actually healthy!  No eggs.  No flour.  No sugar.

A friend on Facebook posted this recipe a while back and at first it intrigued me but seemed odd so I didn't make them.  My kids always ask for dessert if they've eaten a good dinner and I really don't like them eating so much crap every night.  I started looking for desserts that they would like eating AND that I knew were healthy and wouldn't mind giving them.  Hello, healthy cookie dough!!

At first both of my kids turned their noses up at these.  But the second day they were gobbling them down.  They do look a little weird and the texture is different.  If your kids balk at these at first, try again another day.  My whole family loves being able to just pop one or two of these babies out of the fridge for a treat!

Ingredients:
1 cup almond butter (got mine at Trader Joe's)
1 cup peanut butter (all natural from Trader Joes')
1 cup honey
4 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup flax seed (may help fight everything from heart disease and diabetes to breast cancer. Eat flax seed!)
1/2 bag mini chips
 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Directions:
Mix all ingredients into a large bowl. Put in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to chill. Roll into balls and keep refrigerated until you are ready to eat them.  I just pop a few out at time to give to my girls or to eat myself.  Don't think these are just for kids, they are great with coffee in the morning!

1 comment:

Kristine said...

I'll be making this soon!