Thursday, October 20, 2011

Roasted Brussel Sprouts



I had a bag of brussel sprouts and was looking for a new way to cook them. I normally just boil or steam them and add a little butter/salt/pepper. I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and they were roasted in the oven so I gave it a shot. Oh my, these are soooo good. I don't really like brussel sprouts but I make them every now and then because I know my husband likes them. I could not stop eating these. After dinner I was eating them directly off the cookie sheet! This is the only way I'll be making brussel sprouts from now on...and I'll probably be making them a lot more often!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and yellow leaves removed
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. I parboiled mine for about 5 minutes to reduce the baking time. You don't have to do this step although I would recommend it. Place trimmed Brussels sprouts, olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Seal tightly, and shake to coat. Pour onto a baking sheet, and place on center oven rack.

Roast in the preheated oven for 25 minutes if you parboiled, 30-45 if you didn't. Shake the pan every 5 to 7 minutes for even browning. (I didn't do that step and mind turned out fine!) Serve immediately.

1 comment:

marye said...

Roasted brussels sprouts are the best! We also love to add pancetta and garlic; here's our favorite recipe: http://food.meltingonline.com/caramelized-brussel-sprouts-with-garlic-and-pancetta/