Friday, August 19, 2011

Chocolate-Topped Peanut Butter-Bacon Bars



If anyone knows our family personally, they know we love bacon. Or I should say that my husband and 3 year old LOVE bacon. It's really a bit of an obsession. :)

A friend of mine posted this recipe on facebook the other day. I love peanut butter and with them loving bacon I knew it was a recipe I had to make. Sweet and salty - you can't go wrong!

This recipe calls for a package of Betty Crocker peanut butter cookie mix. The store was out so I bought the sugar cookie package instead. All I did was add peanut butter to the batter (and a little more oil to get the right consistency) until I had a nice peanut butter flavor. I followed the recipe otherwise exactly.

These are super yummy but I would make a few changes. I couldn't really taste the bacon that was mixed in the brownie. I think next time I would sprinkle about 1/2 a cup crumbled bacon on top of the chocolate and leave it at that. If you make these let me know what you think!

Ingredients:
1 pouch Betty Crocker® peanut butter cookie mix
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons maple-flavored syrup
1 egg
10 slices bacon, crisply cooked, crumbled (about 3/4 cup)
1/2 cup chopped peanuts
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (6 oz)

Directions:

Heat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray 9- or 8-inch square pan with cooking spray. In large bowl, stir together cookie mix, oil, syrup and egg until soft dough forms. Reserve 1/4 cup bacon for garnish. Stir remaining bacon and peanuts into dough. Press evenly in pan.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven; sprinkle with chocolate chips. Return to oven; bake 1 minute. Immediately spread chocolate over bars. Sprinkle reserved 1/4 cup bacon over chocolate. Cool completely, about 1 hour or until chocolate is set.

For bars, cut into 4 rows by 4 rows. Store tightly covered in refrigerator.

1 comment:

Fleur said...

Wow...this sounds like a fantasy dream of all the things I shouldn't be eating on my weight loss plan....but fortunately no calories in dreams!