Monday, January 18, 2010

PW's Meatloaf



Meatloaf is really hard to photograph well - this was the best I could do! ;)

So, first let me say I do not like meatloaf. I really think it's kind of gross and only ever make it because my husband likes it. I bought Pioneer Woman's cookbook for my mother and mother-in-law for Christmas and they both raved about the meatloaf recipe in there. Well, I was also given the book for Christmas (thanks Daphne!) so I thought I'd give it a try - at least for Jordan. ;) It was really very good! The best meatloaf either one of us has ever had. I mean, it's wrapped in bacon - it's got to be good!

Ingredients:
1 cup milk
6 bread slices
2 pounds ground beef
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp seasoned salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4-1/2 cup minced flat leaf parsley
4 eggs, beaten
8-12 thick bacon slices
1 1/2 cups ketchup
6 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tsp dry mustard
dash or two of hot sauce - more if you like

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Pour the milk over the bread and allow it to soak in for several minutes.



Place the ground beef, milk, soaked bread, Parmesan cheese, salt, seasoned salt, black pepper, and parsley in a large mixing bowl. Pour in the eggs.



With clean hands, mix the ingredients until well combined. Form the mixture into a loaf shape on a broiler pan. Line the bottom of the broiler pan with aluminum foil to help with easy clean up.



Lay bacon slices over the top, tucking them underneath the meatloaf.



Pour the ketchup into a small mixing bowl. Add the brown sugar and dry mustard and splash in the hot sauce. Stir the mixture until well combined. Pour 1/3 of the tomato gravy over the top of the meatloaf.



Bake for 45 minutes then pour another 1/3 of the remaining tomato gravy over the meatloaf. Bake for an additional 15 minutes.

Serve with the remaining tomato gravy on the side as a dipping sauce.



(Notes) I made my loaf pretty thick so it was not done after the 1 hour of baking. Keep that in mind while you are making your loaf - try to make it thinner and longer so it will cook in the 1 hour. I ended up having to cook mine for another 20 minutes. Make sure to serve this with mashed potatoes!!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just a slight variation to add a bit of zip..I only had half the ketchup..it was the holidays..so used chili sauce to make up the total amount of sauce needed..it was great...still loving the sandwiches..I froze it and it freezes great! Thanks PW...Lynn Duggan

AngiGrrrl said...

This is the recipe my mother-in-law uses. My hubby LOVES it to bits. I am not a huge fan of meatloaf but I do like the sandwiches the next day. Thanks for reminding me to make it next week. :)