Thursday, March 4, 2010

Homemade Play Dough



I know this isn't a food recipe, but you still need to cook it on the stove! Doesn't that count? ;) If you have children or teach definitely give this recipe a try!

This is by far my favorite play dough recipe. I started using this recipe when I first started teaching and just stuck with it! It will last a really long time if you keep it sealed in a zip lock bag. I made some at the end of November and I am just now throwing it away and replacing it with some new stuff. Of course, I only have one child so if you are making this for a school or more children it won't last as long. When I was teaching I replaced our play dough monthly.

I also like this recipe because it has kool-aid in it which gives the play dough a nice smell. Most homemade play dough smells kind of nasty to me. :)

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
4 Tablespoons cream of tartar
1 cup salt
2 cups water
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 package of kool-aid & food coloring of your choice

Directions:
Stir together flour, cream of tartar and salt. Combine water with oil, food coloring and kool-aid packet. Since I was using cherry kool-aid this time I added 5 drops of red food coloring to the water mixture. The kool-aid gives the play dough a nice smell and some color but with all that white flour a little more color is needed.

Mix in all the ingredients and cook over medium heat.



Stir until the mixture can no longer be stirred.



It will get lumpy; stir until it turns into a ball and starts pulling away from the sides of the pan.



Remove to a plastic mat (I just use my counter) and knead.



Let it cool and keep in an airtight container. I find zip lock bags work the best.



Have fun playing, releasing stress & working on building those fine motor skills!

On a side note, the cream of tartar is what really makes the play dough soft and last longer. Don't skimp on it as it won't turn out the same.

No comments: