Monday, February 1, 2010

Creamy Potatoes Au Gratin



Jordan LOVES potatoes au gratin. I saw this recipe on allrecipes.com and thought I'd give it a try. I used my mandolin slicer for the first time and I think it really made a difference - especially with the cooking time and even cooking. If you don't have a mandolin just try to cut the potatoes close to the same size as possible. We thought this was a great recipe but very basic so feel free to use this as your base and add as you see fit. The only thing I thought it needed was a little more salt but I'm pregnant and think everything needs more salt!! :)

Ingredients:
4 russet potatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
1 onion, sliced into rings (I chopped mine)
salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 1 quart casserole dish. Layer 1/2 of the potatoes into bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Top with the onion, and add the remaining potatoes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour and salt, and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute. Stir in milk. Cook until mixture has thickened. Stir in cheese all at once, and continue stirring until melted, about 30 to 60 seconds. Pour cheese over the potatoes and stir gently to combine. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake 1 1/2 hours in the preheated oven.



Enjoy!

No comments: