Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chipsters



I love peanut butter and I love oatmeal cookies. I am always on the search for recipes that I can combine the two together to have both of my favorites in one cookie. I found this recipe on Two Peas and Their Pod. The original recipe came from Baking, From My Home to Yours, by Dorie Greenspan. I've heard a lot about Dorie Greenspan but had not made anything of hers until now.

I followed the recipe on Two Peas and Their Pod exactly.

Ingredients:

3 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup peanut butter - I used smooth but chunky would work too
1 cup white sugar
1 cup (packed) light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips or chunks (I used chocolate and peanut butter chips - next time I think I would just use chocolate)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
Combine oats, flour, baking soda, spices & salt.

In a large bowl mix the the butter, peanut butter, sugar and brown sugar on medium speed until smooth and creamy. (I used my stand mixer but a handheld one would work fine too) Add the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition, then beat in the vanilla.

Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add the dry ingredients, beating only until blended. Mix in the chips with a wooden spoon.



Cover and chill the dough for about 2 hours or for up to one day (or you could put in the freezer for 20 minutes)

Scoop rounded spoonfuls, roll between your palms. I then flattened mine a bit in my hands before placing on the prepared cookie sheets.

I tried baking mine like the instructions said. "Bake for 13-15 minutes, rotating the sheets from top to bottom and front to back after 7 minutes." At 12 minutes my cookies were way too brown for my liking. I was also baking these cookies at an Open House and I forgot pot holders so all this switching around hot pans with paper towels was not really working for me. :) After a few trays I ended up just cooking for about 10 minutes and they came out perfect. I would just check after 9-10 minutes and see if they are ready to come out.

Let cool for a minute or two on cookie trays then transfer to cooling rack to finish cooling.

I thought these cookies were good but they could have been moister for my tastes. I would definitely make these again but would be more careful of how long they baked for. They were great with milk and just okay for me on their own. I guess I'm still looking for that perfect peanut butter oatmeal cookie that is moist without milk!

No comments: