Saturday, February 21, 2009

Southwest Orzo & Black Bean Salad



The office manager at my office made this salad for a work function a while back. This is so good - definitely something I will make often, especially during the summer. It's cold and refreshing - a great compliment to grilled chicken!

I made this during the warm spell we had a few weeks ago. We did have it with grilled chicken and ate out on the deck. So nice & yummy!

Dressing Ingredients:
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Combine and mix well with whisk or put in a jar and shake.

Main Ingredients:
1 can black beans, rinsed & drained
2 cups cooked orzo pasta (or rice)
1 cup frozen corn, thawed (I used canned corn)
1/2 jar (7.25 oz) roasted red peppers, sliced
1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
Chopped fresh cilantro to taste (optional)

Combine all ingredients and then add dressing. Toss to coat well and let marinate for several hours in the refrigerator. Allow to stand at room temperature for about 1 hour prior to serving.



I let the salad come to room temperature the first night we ate this. For the leftovers I did not and really I thought it tasted just fine cold so you may be able to skip that step.

No comments: