Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Strawberry Cake



When I was a little girl my favorite cake was strawberry. I used to love playing with Strawberry Shortcake so I'm sure that had something to do with it. :) I of course I wanted Saryn to have strawberry cake for her birthday.

I found this recipe for Southern Style Strawberry cake at Joy the Baker's website. I really liked the cake in this recipe and would make it again. The frosting I didn't really care for, I thought it was much too sweet and over powered the flavor of the cake. Give the cake a try - just use a different frosting!

Ingredients:

1 box white cake mix (without pudding)
1 (3 ounce) package strawberry jello
1 Tablespoon flour
4 teaspoons sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup fresh strawberries, finely diced.

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350. Combine the cake mix, Jello, flour and sugar in a large bowl. Mix well. Add the oil. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition Add the water and strawberries and mix well. Divide the batter evenly into 2 8-inch round baking pans that have been oiled and floured. Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean and the layers pull away from the sides of the pan.

Transfer the layers from the oven to wire racks. Let them cool, still in their pans, for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, run a knife around the inside edge of each pan, then unmold each layer onto the racks to cool completely.

Use the frosting of your choice and frost!!

No comments: