Saturday, November 29, 2008

Spinach Tomato Tortellini

The past month has been a bit off for me cooking wise. I've tried some new recipes that I planned on putting up here but I wasn't satisfied with the results. I really only want to put recipes up here that we liked enough for me to make again. So, I apologize it's been a bit quiet on here! Jordan I am sure has been disappointed as well!



I bought a bag of tortellini in Trader Joe's the other day thinking that it would be a good meal for Saryn. I searched on allrecipes.com for a recipe and found this one. Wow, was this REALLY good! So simple, but it tasted like something you'd order at a restaurant. Saryn thought it was good too!

Ingredients:
1 (16 ounce) package cheese tortellini (I got mine in the pasta section, not the frozen kind)
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with garlic and onion
1 cup chopped fresh spinach
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the tortellini, and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.

While the tortellini is cooking, combine the tomatoes, salt, pepper, basil and garlic in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir until the mixture begins to bubble.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, milk and cream. Stir this mixture into the saucepan along with the Parmesan cheese. Heat through, then reduce heat to low, and simmer until thick, about 2 minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes.



Drain the tortellini, but do not rinse, then pour them into the saucepan with the sauce. Stir to coat, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve.

No comments: