Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Eggs Chaisson

Here is my first entry into my food blog. I found this recipe several years ago in a Cuisine at Home magazine. This is a wonderful breakfast if you are having company over. I make it Christmas morning and on special occassions (the last time was Father's Day). It's not that time consuming - takes probably an hour from start to finish.



Sauce:
1 cup diced onion
½ cup diced celery
½ cup diced bell pepper ( I usually use red or orange for the color)
1 T vegetable oil
¼ cup dry white wine
1 T Creole seasoning
2 tsp minced garlic
1 bay leaf
3 cups heavy cream
¼ tsp hot pepper sauce
24 medium shrimp (I usually get the frozen ready to eat kind that come in a ring)
1 bunch of scallions for garnish

Over medium heat sauté onion, celery, and peppers in oil until soft. Add wine, seasoning, garlice and bay leaf. Stir in cream and hot sauce; reduce until consistency of thin pancake batter. Add shrimp and cook through. Adjust seasoning and sauce consistency adding milk or reducing further.

Biscuits: While the sauce is reducing I make the biscuits. I usually use the store bought kind but you can make your own.

Poached Eggs:
I have an egg poacher – if you do not….

Simmer 1 quart of water. Gently slip eggs into water – only poach 4 eggs at a time. The whites will begin to set almost immediately. Swirl the water to keep eggs from sticking to the pan. Cook 3-5 minutes or until white is set and yolk is filmed over. (I usually cook our eggs for 4 minutes) Remove each egg with a slotted spoon and gently roll in a towel trimming ragged edges and strands with the spoon.

Plating:
Split a biscuit in half and place a poached egg on each biscuit half and cover with 1 cup sauce. Garnish with minced scallions.

This serves 4-6 people.

No comments: