Saturday, July 19, 2008

Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings


I've been on a crockpot kick over the past week. I rarely use my crockpot in the summer but for some reason I used it twice last week. I found this Chicken and Dumpling recipe on allrecipes.com and honestly my version is completely different. I thought the original recipe had a good start but really needed extra ingredients to make it a good meal. Here's what I did.

Ingredients:
3 chicken breasts
2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup chopped carrots
2 stalks chopped celery
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 Tablespoons butter
1 can refrigerated biscuits
1/4 teaspoon pepper (or more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)

Directions:
Place the butter, soup, veggies, seasonings and onion in a slow cooker. Stir to combine, then place chicken into soup mixture. Fill with enough water to cover.

Cover, and cook for 5 hours on High.
This is my favorite part - walk away!!


Remove chicken breasts and shred on a cutting board. Put the chicken back into the slow cooker, stir to combine. Tear the biscuit dough and place on top of the soup mixture.

Cover and cook until dough is no longer raw in the center - mine take about an hour.

Once the dough is cooked take a spoon or a fork and push the dough down into the soup so it mixes in.

Now you are ready to serve!

No comments: