Friday, July 25, 2008

Banana Bread



This recipe makes the best banana bread I've ever had. It's the only recipe I use - why mess with a good thing!

Ingredients:
5 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups mashed banana (about 2 large bananas)
1 3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
2 egg whites
1/2 cup heavy cream

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan with cooking spray. Beat butter in a large bowl. Add sugars, blend. Add egg, egg whites and vanilla; blend. Add mashed banana; blend.

Now, the recipe states to mix the rest of the dry ingredients in a separate bowl - I do not do that. I just dump them into the bowl with the banana mix along with the heavy cream. Mix until combined.

Pour batter into loaf pan. Bake until brown and when toothpick comes out clean when inserted into center. The recipe states 1 hour and 15 minutes. I bake for an hour then check to see if it's done. In my case it was not - so I let it cook another 5 minutes. Checked - and cooked again for another 5 minutes. When I checked this time it was perfect - totaling 1 hour and 10 minutes. If I would have cooked another 5 minutes it would have been dried out. 1 hour and 10 minutes and the bread was perfect!!

No comments: