Sunday, August 7, 2016

Fresh Berry Cups



My friend Becca brought these beautiful desserts to my house a few months ago.  They are so pretty and after one bite, I was hooked.  We had family coming over for dinner and I needed a dessert that was nut, egg, dairy and gluten free.  This was perfect!  Adults and children gobbled these up, there wasn't one left.  The best part, I didn't have to turn on the oven!  :)  

They are chocolate cups filled with coconut cream topped with fresh raspberries and blueberries.  The only thing you need is silicone baking cups.  I bought these ones from amazon.  

Ingredients:
1 bag enjoy life chocolate chips (if you want to keep this dairy free)
2 cans full fat coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla
pinches of sugar to taste
fresh raspberries and blueberries

Directions:
Place cans of coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight.  This will help the coconut milk thicken and separate from the water.  

Melt the chocolate chips in a saucepan or double boiler until you have a smooth consistency.  

Coat the bottom and sides of your candy cup with about 1 spoonful of melted chocolate.  Place candy cups in the freezer.  


Remove chocolate cups from the freezer once firm and carefully pop the chocolate cups out of the silicone mold.  I did have a few of my edges break, but that's okay.  Doesn't effect the taste! I put my cups back in the freezer before filling as the chocolate was starting to get soft.

Remove the coconut milk from the refrigerator and scoop out the solid coconut cream at the top of the can and place in a large bowl.  Do not use the water at the bottom for this recipe.  I made quite a mess with this as coconut cream was flying everywhere when I was whipping it.  Maybe a stand mixer with a shield would be nice next time!

Add the vanilla and sugar to taste and start whipping your coconut cream until light and fluffy.  I had some very stubborn hard pieces in mine that didn't want to whip.  Keep whipping if that happens to you.  I also thought it was a little runny but it fluffed up nicely in the refrigerator.   

Once your cups are hard again, scoop some of your coconut filling into the chocolate cups.  Top each cup with a few raspberries and blueberries.  Refrigerate until you are ready to eat.  

This made 24 cups but I only had enough coconut cream for 18.  With the extra cups, we just put a scoop of dairy free ice cream in there!  Yum!



Enjoy!







No comments: