Saturday, September 12, 2015

Dairy & Gluten Free Banana Bread


Baking without gluten can sometimes be a challenge.  Consistency is different or the texture is off.  There is definitely a trial and error process to go through while finding the right flours that are as close to wheat flour as you can get.  I am still searching for that perfect mixture but have come across some pretty yummy recipes along the way!

Take this banana bread for example.  When I put a dairy free/gluten free item in the oven, I never really know what I am going to get when I pull it out.  This bread got really dark on the outside very quickly, even though it still needed more cooking on the inside.  I would recommend cooking it at a lower temperature next time, maybe 325 instead of 350.  Even though the outside was much darker than I normally make with wheat banana bread, it didn't really change the taste.  Texture was great, had nice flavor - honestly, I couldn't tell it was gluten/dairy free, which is exactly how I want it to be!  My 5 year old daughter has been eating it for snack and hasn't said a peep, so if she can't tell and thinks it's yummy then that's a successful baking experience!

Ingredients:
5 Tablespoons butter (use vegan butter sticks to keep this dairy free)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups mashed banana (about 2 large bananas)
1 3/4 cup gluten free flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs
1/2 cup coconut milk

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (or if you want to try 325). Grease a 9x5 loaf pan with cooking spray. Beat butter in a large bowl. Add sugars, blend. Add eggs and vanilla; blend. Add mashed banana; blend.

Add dry ingreditents, blend.  Slowly add coconut milk, mix until combined.

Pour batter into loaf pan. Bake until brown and when toothpick comes out clean when inserted into center. This bread needs to bake for about an hour in the oven.  I like to check around 50 minutes and if it needs more add 10 minutes each time to prevent it from over cooking.  My loaf got very brown on the outside but the inside was still a bit raw.  Next time I would reduce heat to 325 to try to keep the outside from getting so dark.  This bread was in the oven for about 60 minutes total.   


Enjoy!

No comments: