Thursday, May 21, 2015

Mexican Rice


Doesn't look like much does it?  But it's gluten, dairy, and yeast free.  Which are not ingredients you would expect to find in boxed rice.  But they are there.  Which makes eating boxed rice nearly impossible for me.  The one's I have found that I can eat, are really gross.  So I have started to make my own.  And guess what?  It's super easy and delicious!  This stuff is way better than any boxed Mexican rice I have ever made.  A great recipe from allrecipes!  This turned out perfectly as is for children.  If you want more heat, you'll need to add some.

Ingredients:
3 Tbps vegetable oil
1/4 cup chopped onions
1 cup long grain rice
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 cup tomato sauce
2 cups chicken broth (if you are not using homemade, make sure to check for wheat)

Directions:

Heat oil in a saucepan and add rice.  Cook, stirring constantly until puffed and golden.  Sprinkle with salt and cumin.

Stir in onions and cook until tender.  Stir in tomato sauce and chicken broth.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes.  Add more chicken broth if needed.  Fluff with a fork.

Enjoy!

No comments: