Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Almond Joy Cupcakes


I have to warn you, these are dangerously good.  I had one bite and realized these could get me into trouble. Thankfully I made these over a weekend where we were going to two parties and could take them with me.  If they were just sitting in the house I probably would have eaten all of them.

I found this recipe on Betty Crocker's website but changed it quite a bit based on what I had in the pantry.  Hopefully I remembered all of my changes!  ;)

Ingredients:
2 cups toasted coconut (you can use flaked)
1 box yellow cake mix (I used an organic vanilla cake mix as it's what I had on hand)
Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on the cake mix box
1 tsp coconut extract
Cream of coconut

Chocolate Frosting
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup butter
1-3 tablespoons milk (I added a little more to get the consistency I wanted)
2 squares baking chocolate, melted
1/4 tsp salt

1 cup toasted or flaked coconut and almond slivers if desired for garnishing

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix cake batter as directed on box.  Add two cups coconut, stir until combined.  Divide batter evenly among cupcake pan and bake as directed on box for 24 cupcakes.

Remove from oven and poke holes into cupcakes.  Pour a few spoonfuls of cream of coconut over top each cupcake while still warm.. Let cool and remove from pans.

In a medium bowl beat powdered sugar, butter and salt with a mixer.  Beat in 1 tablespoon milk and melted chocolate.  Gradually mix in the remaining milk until the frosting is smooth and spreadable.  I ended up adding 4-5 Tablespoons to get the consistency I wanted.  Spread on cooled cupcakes.

The first cupcake I garnished with freshly toasted coconut and almond slivers.  I thought they were delish that way but Jordan doesn't like nuts in his food so I finished the rest in just the coconut.  Technically, they are Mounds Cupcakes if you don't put the almonds on. :)

Enjoy!


No comments: