Thursday, March 15, 2012

Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies



I am totally in love Jerry Seinfeld's wife, Jessica right now. She has written this cookbook called Deceptively Delicious and it has recipes with healthy fruits and vegetables hidden inside each of her recipes. Genius I tell you!

So far I have only made one of her recipes but I am looking forward to trying out more!

Ingredients:
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 softened butter(She calls for margarine but we don't eat that. I might use applesauce next time)
2 large egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
3/4 cup raisins (optional)
2 cups flour
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.

Mix sugar and butter. Beat in egg whites and vanilla, then add the chickpeas and chocolate chips. Add flour, oats, baking soda, and salt. I also added 1 tsp of flax seed at this point but you don't have to. Mix on low speed until a thick dough forms. Chickpeas might fly out so you might need to cover the bowl with a dish towel.

Drop the dough by tablespoonful onto the baking sheet. Press gently with a fork to flatten (Ooops, missed that step!) Bake until the cookies are golden brown, about 11-13 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.



Saryn and I really liked these, Rowyn at first wasn't a fan but eventually liked them. Next time I might add some cranberries instead of raisins.

Enjoy!

No comments: