Friday, January 20, 2012

Andrya's Sugar Cookies



The girls and I had a little cookie decorating party with sugar cookies in December for Santa. These were by far the easiest sugar cookie I have ever made and taaasty as well! This will definitely by my go to sugar cookie recipe from now on. I can see us using this recipe all year long. Perhaps for Valentine's Day coming up?

A friend of mine (Amber) from high school shared this recipe of another high school friend (Andrya) with me last year. I had already decided to make a different cookie last year so this recipe didn't get tried out. So wishing I would have done this one instead! ;)

You can easily play with the ingredients to suit your tastes. Next time I might put almond extract in the cookie batter instead of the vanilla. Yum yum!

Cookie Ingredients:
3/4 cup butter (1.5 sticks)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla (or almond extract)
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Directions:
Mix butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla (everything at room temp). Mix 1 cup flour, baking powder and salt, and add to wet mix. Then add the remaining 1 1/2 cup flour and mix. Cool in fridge until firm

Bake at 375, ~ 6-8 minutes total, depending on the oven - just barely until baked.

I think I typically bake then for less than 4 minutes, with an electric oven.

Frosting ingredients: (Mix all ingredients)
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla (or almond extract)
1 - 2 tbsp. water or milk
(You could also add 2 tsp light corn syrup to make them shiny but not necessary)



The great thing about this frosting is that kids can "paint" it on the cookies. The 4 year olds had a much easier time painting the frosting on than they did trying to use it with a knife. If you need it to be a little runnier just add more milk/water. Or if you need it thicker just add more powdered sugar. I made two batches of the frosting and then used a store bought white frosting as well.

Have fun and enjoy!

No comments: