Friday, November 26, 2010

Kay's Sweet Potato Casserole



Jordan's aunt Kay made this recipe for Thanksgiving when I was pregnant with Saryn almost three years ago. I do not normally like sweet potatoes but I LOVED this dish. I think I had several helpings that year! :) I have made it twice since then but keep forgetting to get photos of it. Well, this year I made it again for Thanksgiving and made sure to get photographs! If you like sweet potatoes even a little, you should definitely try this recipe!

Ingredients:
Topping:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
4 Tablespoons flour
1/3 cup pecan pieces
1/3 cup shredded coconut
4 Tablespoons butter, cut up

Potatoes:
4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered (My potatoes were small but I used about 3 pounds of potatoes)
3 eggs, slightly beaten
8 Tablespoons butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup - 1 cup heavy cream
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground coriander
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Butter 6x9 inch or larger baking pan. I used a 9x11 pan and it was perfect.

Prepare topping by combining all ingredients except butter in a medium bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or a fork. Reserve.



Place potatoes in heavy saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Boil over medium heat for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and let them dry in a colander for 10 minutes.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Put potatoes through food processor or food mill (I used a hand mixer) Stop as soon as potatoes are smooth. Don't over mix. You may need to add some of the cream to keep the mixture moving. (I didn't have to, I added my cream after they were mixed.)




With whisk or large spoon combine potatoes with eggs, butter, cream, and spices. Pour into pan.



Distribute topping evenly over the top.



Bake uncovered 30-40 minutes or until nicely browned.



We had this with turkey but it would be nice with ham or beef as well.



Enjoy!

No comments: