Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Peanut Butter Cookie Pudding



I have both girls in bed and my husband is traveling. I should take this time to go to sleep myself but I really want to share this recipe I found with you. :) We had a 4th of July party on Sunday and I wanted to make a new dessert that I thought both children and adults would like. It needs to sit in the refrigerator for 24 hours which was perfect for me since I like recipes that I can make the day before a party. It's easy and delicious - what more can one ask for?! I found this recipe on Eat at Home, a blog I follow. If you have a chance, check out her blog - she's got some great recipes on there!

Ingredients:

1 package of peanut butter sandwich cookies (Nutter Butters)
2 boxes French vanilla instant pudding mix (3.5 oz each)
3 1/2 cups milk
1 container frozen whipped topping, thawed (8 oz container)
1 stick butter, softened
2/3 cup cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Directions:

Split all the cookies open using a butter knife. Beat the milk and pudding mix with an electric mixer until thickened. Fold in the whipped topping.



Place a layer of cookies, icing side up on the bottom of a dish. I used 8x11 but I think you could use 9x13 and it would work out just fine.



Add half the pudding mixture on top of the layer of cookies. Place another layer of cookies icing side up over the pudding. Next time I would put the cookies closer together to try and fit as many cookies in as possible.



Add the rest of the pudding. Place the final layer of cookies, icing side down. See how in this photo I squished them a bit more? That's how I wish I would have done the other two layers. I ended up with some extra cookies - which isn't a big deal, they'll get eaten! But I would rather have had them in the dessert. :)



Now you'll need to make the frosting. Beat the butter and cocoa with an electric mixer. Add the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla and beat until smooth. I had to add more milk to get a creamy texture so it would spread well. Probably an additional 3-4 tablespoons of milk.

Spread the frosting on the cookie layer. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.



Everyone at the party seemed to enjoy this dessert - definitely give it a try! I thought it was delicious and could easily eat the whole tray myself! Jordan thought it was just okay but that's because he doesn't care for chocolate. I don't trust his opionion on most desserts anyways, I mean, who doesn't like chocolate?! ;)

No comments: