Saturday, February 13, 2010

White Bean and Apple Chili



I received 5 new cookbooks for Christmas this year. I've been going through them and tagging recipes that I'd like to try at some point. I found this recipe in Make it Fast, Cook it Slow by Stephanie O'dea. She is also a blogger and I had checked her food blog out a few times before I got her cookbook. She used nothing but her crock pot for cooking for a whole year! She's got some interesting recipes, that's for sure! You can check out her blog by clicking here.

This is a completely different twist on chili. But we really liked it so definitely give it a try!

Ingredients:
3 Tablespoons butter
2 (15 oz) cans of white beans, drained and rinsed
1 onion chopped
2 green apples, cut in tiny chunks (no need to peel)
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 cup plan nonfat yogurt
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Directions:
Put the butter in your crock pot along with the beans, onion & apple. Add garlic chili powder, thyme, cumin, salt and pepper. Pour in broth & the yogurt.



Combine ingredients together.



Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. The chili is done when the onion has softened and the flavors have melded.

My new crockpot cooks hotter than what I was expecting so mine got a little overcooked. Still tasted great but yours might not look like mine when it's done.



Stir in cheddar cheese before serving. I just sprinkled the cheddar cheese on top of the chili once I placed it in the bowls.

We liked this chili but it is very light. I'd recommend serving some sort of bread with it along with a salad. Definitely a different kind of chili but in a good way!

No comments: