Friday, August 28, 2009

Barley Mushroom Pilaf & Green Bean Casserole



So I am going to combine two recipes in this one post. I served them together and they are both very quick and easy recipes. I made these sides a few weeks ago when I was still doing the $100 a month grocery challenge. I was trying to use what I had on hand for dinner and these are the recipes I found. The Barley Mushroom Pilaf I found searching on Google under barley recipes. I had barley in my pantry but had no idea what to do with it! Well, there is a website completely dedicated to barley recipes! You can click here to check it out.

Barley Mushroom Pilaf
Ingredients:
1/2 cup sliced fresh button mushrooms
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup pearl barley
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
2 tablespoons chopped green onion (I didn't have this but really think it would have added some color, so I would recommend adding it!)
1/4 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary
2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese

Directions:

Heat olive oil in saucepan; add mushrooms and saute until limp. Add barley, broth, green onion and rosemary. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. I had instant barley so I only had to cook mine for about 15 minutes. Make sure to check which kind you have before you start cooking! Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over pilaf and serve.



The green bean casserole is even easier. I make this recipe quite often but have never posted it on here because it's so quick and easy. But it's good and we all like it so maybe you will too! I found the recipe in a cookbook that was given to me as a wedding shower present. It's Betty Crocker's Bridal Edition cookbook and the recipes are very simple but every recipe I have made from that cookbook turns out nicely!

Favorite Green Bean Casserole
Ingredients:
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup milk
1/8 tsp pepper
2 cans french style green beans, drained (I used frozen green beans b/c that's what I had on hand)
1 can (2.8 ounces) french fried onions (I never measure this out - just buy a large can and use a handful)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix soup, milk and pepper in 2 quart casserole or square baking dish - 8x8 works great. Stir in beans, sprinkle with onions.



Bake uncovered 30-40 minutes or until hot.

Enjoy!

No comments: