Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Penny Pinching Pantry Raid Update

Well, I was doing great not spending money at the grocery store. I only went to the store once last week to get 2 half gallons of milk & creamer for my coffee totalling $6.09. I was so proud that's all I had spent! I had to go to the store today to get bread, milk and fruit. I always have fresh fruit on hand for my daughter Saryn to eat for snacks or with her meals. I ended up spending $20.04!!! UGH!! I was so disgusted when the cashier said the amount! So, now my total for week one is $26.13 which leaves me $73.87 for the remainder 3 weeks or $26.62 per week. Hopefully I can make it!!

For week one here are the groceries I bought:
1/2 gallon milk $1.99 (x2)
1/2 gallon milk $1.20 (x2)
creamer $1.99
cheese cubes $2
bread $1.99
oranges $.59 (x2)
red pepper $2.49 (ouch!)
red tomato $1.29 (i need a garden!)
strawberries $2
carrots $.99
grapes $5.49 (buh!)

Everything I bought was on sale and I saved $5.97 that way, but man that's still a lot for what I got! The fresh fruit and veggies are what killed me but that's something I just won't go without.

In just one week we've done a pretty good job of eating the food in our refrigerator and pantry.



Our freezer is still jam packed though! Guess I need to start cooking some of the food in there for the second week!



We usually spend about $150 a week on groceries so I am happy with the fact I spent under $30 this week. That's a huge improvement! Hopefully I can stick with it for next week as well. I'll keep you posted as to how things are going!

2 comments:

Ian said...

It looks like you organized things for these pictures. I"m not sure that's fair. It's kinda like the before and after pictures for diets where the person is puffing out their stomach in the before pic and flexing a freshly shaved and copiously oiled self in the after picture!

Stefanie said...

I didn't organize on purpose, I promise! lol! As we ate food out of the pantry I did move things around so I could see what else we had. The stuff in the refrigerator was mainly leftovers in the first picture and those all got eaten!