Monday, July 7, 2008

Nachos

We had a tray of shredded left over pig from the 4th of July party we had on Friday. I decided to make nachos with it for dinner tonight. I found this recipe on Pioneer Woman Cooks and made a few changes to it so that it suited our tastes. She didn't give measurements so I had to eyeball the ingredients.

Here is how I made the nachos.

Ingredients:
Tortilla chips of your choice - I went with the round ones as I thought they would fit nicely in a baking dish.
1 can black beans
Meat of your choice - again we used pig, but you could use shredded chicken, hamburger, brisket etc.
Shredded Monterrey jack cheese
1 small can enchilada sauce
2 tomatoes
1 jalapeno - 1 was plenty spicy for me but Jordan could have had more. Start with one and add another if you want it hotter.
1 small onion
Cilantro
1 lime

The meat I used was already cooked. If you have left over chicken or beef feel free to use that for this recipe. If not, then you'll need to cook whatever meat you plan on using.

Place a little bit of olive oil in a pan on medium heat. Add the meat and cook until warm. Pour about half the can of enchilada sauce onto the meat. Use just enough to coat it.


Warm the beans in a pan on the stove.

Dice the tomatoes, jalapeno, onion & cilantro and mix in a bowl. Cut the lime and squeeze a 1/4 section of it into the bowl. Add a dash of salt. The Pioneer woman calls this pico de gallo - it tastes an awful lot like Jordan's homemade salsa!


I used a 9" pie plate and layered the bottom of it with tortilla chips. Sprinkle some of the meat on top of the tortilla chips. Then add some of the beans. Next add some of the pico de gallo; then top with cheese.


Repeat with another layer except stop with the cheese.


Broil in the oven until the cheese is melted. I put mine on the second rack in the oven and baked for about 10-15 minutes checking often. Then top with more pico de gallo.


We served ours with sour cream. This would be a great appetizer at a party. I thought these were good but needed more cheese. I used 3/4 of a bag of shredded cheese and it needed quite a bit more. But I like my nachos cheesy!

No comments: