Sunday, April 23, 2023

New Years Day Hoppin John Soup


Recipe: (can also do on the stove)
1 onion, chopped in fairly small pieces
1 cup celery, chopped in fairly small pieces
1 T olive oil
1 tsp. minced garlic
2-3 cups diced ham
8 cups homemade chicken stock (this is key)
2 16 oz. packages frozen black-eyed peas
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
2-3 cups chopped collard greens

Saute onion and celery in oil in instant pot until softened, about 3-5 minutes. Add minced garlic and chopped ham. Saute a few minutes more.  Add chicken stock, black eyed peas and thyme. Stir to combine. Set pressure cooker to soup 15 minutes.

Release and add chopped collards. Season to taste here. I didn’t add anything but a little salt and pepper. I had a little bit of broth left so I added what I had. Set pressure cooker to 8 minutes.  

I let mine sit on warm until I was ready – released then took an immersion blender and blended a bit to help thicken up the soup. Not too much or you’ll end up with no whole beans to eat!

Serve with a side of corn bread!

No comments: