Monday, September 19, 2011

Apple Crisp



We had a bunch of apples that were delivered in our CSA box last week. The girls ate two and we still had a bunch left! We were having some friends over for dinner on night so I decided to make an apple crisp. I wanted something that had oatmeal in the topping and found this recipe on foodnetwork.com. I made a few changes to it and they are listed below.

It was a great apple crisp by the way. I don't think I'll make a different apple crisp again! Best served warm and of course with vanilla ice cream. :)

Ingredients:

Apple Mixture:
10 cups apples, peeled and sliced
1/4 cup lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup craisins

Topping Mixture:
1 1/2 sticks butter
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups oats
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cardamom

Directions:

Combine all of the ingredients for the apple mixture in a bowl.

In another bowl, cut the butter into the flour and stir in the remaining topping ingredients. I used my fingers to combine - after I washed them of course. :)

Spread apple mixture into a 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle the apples with the topping mixture. Bake in oven for 20 minutes at 400 then reduce to 350 for another 40 minutes or until the topping is nice and brown.

No comments: