Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Kayln's Baked Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Pesto and Feta

I am so loving Kayln's food blog while Jordan is on South Beach. It's hard enough to figure out what to cook for dinner but then add dietary restrictions and it makes it almost impossible!

Jordan said he felt this recipe was missing something but couldn't put his finger on it. I thought it was fabulous. The only thing I would change the next time I make this is to put some salt and pepper on the chicken or in the breading. For me, who isn't doing the South Beach diet - this dish was heavenly!

I made a few small changes. Here is what I did:

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup pesto
1/4 cup crumbled feta
1/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
2 eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a flat roasting pan with olive oil or nonstick spray. Trim all visible fat from chicken breasts, then put each chicken piece inside heavy plastic bag and pound with meal mallet until the chicken is 1/4 inch thick. Lay chicken skin side down on cutting board.

Put crumbled Feta and pesto in a small bowl and mix together with a fork. Divide pesto mixture evenly among the chicken breasts, then use a spoon to spread it over the chicken, not going completely to the edge or the stuffing will leak out. (I don't always read directions very well now that I have two young children. I went all the way to the edges with my filling but they turned out alright anyways. ;)

Roll up each chicken breast, starting with the smallest end and tucking in any ragged edges, then secure each piece with two toothpicks.

Put beaten egg in one bowl and combine bread crumbs and parmesan in another. Dip each chicken piece first in egg, then in bread crumb/parmesan mixture, turning over several times so chicken is well-coated. (I remembered I was supposed to add parmesan to the bread crumb mixture after the chicken was already in the oven. I just sprinkled some on top. Again, with the children. ;)

Place chicken pieces in baking pan and cook until chicken feels firm but not hard to the touch, mine took about 40-45 minutes.

No comments: