Sunday, October 17, 2010

Lasagna















I had no boil lasagna sheets in my pantry and decided I wanted to use them up so I made lasagna.  :)  I actually used the recipe on the back of the Barilla lasagna box.  I only added chopped spinach and cottage cheese instead of ricotta but followed everything else exactly.  It was very easy to put together and one of the best lasagnas I've had in a long time!!

Ingredients:
1 box lasagna, uncooked (if you use the uncooked sheets, anyways)
2 eggs
15 oz cottage cheese (the recipe calls for ricotta but I prefer cottage cheese)
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (divided)
Frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and drained
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 pound hot Italian sausage (cook, crumble and drain)
2 jars your choice of spaghetti sauce

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375.  In a medium bowl, beat eggs.  Stir in cottage cheese, 2 cups mozzarella and parmesan cheese.  I also add about 2-3 handfuls of the spinach.  Make sure to squeeze it to get all of the water out.



Now, I make two 8x8 pans of lasagna since we can't eat a huge 9x13 pan of lasagna.  The recipe of course is for a large 9x13 pan so my instructions will be for that size pan.  Just half that amount if you decide to make the two 8x8 instead. 

Spread 1 cup of sauce on the bottom of baking pan.  Layer 4 uncooked sheets, slightly overlapping.  (1/2 cup sauce and two sheets for 8x8)

Add the cottage cheese layer.















Half of the browned meat. (1/4 for 8x8 pan)















1 cup of the sauce (1/2 for 8x8 pan)















1 cup of mozzarella (1/2 cup for 8x8 pan)















Depending on how deep your baking dish will determine how many layers you can do.  My dishes are only 2 inches deep so I can only do three layers.  Repeat this layer again and then the third layer is lasagna sheets, remaining sauce and remaining mozzarella. 

Bake covered with foil until bubbly, 50-60 minutes.  Uncover and continue cooking until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. 















Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.  This lasagna was by far the easiest to cut and serve.  You can actually see the layers!  Serve with salad and garlic bread.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Hanaa said...

good work .... very nice
Please visit my blog, Thanks