Monday, June 28, 2010

Flank Steak with Rosemary, Black Pepper & Balsamic Vinegar



Finally, a post! :)

Just having a baby plus a toddler makes it hard to find time to cook let alone cook new recipes! Things are settling down a bit so hopefully you'll see some regular posting again.

I made this recipe a few weeks ago and I really liked it. Jordan liked the meat and the sauce but left the lettuce on his plate. When I asked him why he didn't eat the lettuce with the meat he said, "I don't like leaves with my meat." Oops! Jordan likes salad but as a side. Who knew?!

Well, I thought it was good and for those of you who like "leaves with your meat" I think you'll like this too!

Ingredients:
1-1 1/2 pound flank steak, trimmed and cut into four portions
4 1/2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 1/2 tsp finely crushed black peppercorns
3/4 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
8 oz arugula (I used bag lettuce I had in the fridge)

Directions:

Combine rosemary, pepper and salt. Press it into the steaks. Coat a large skillet with the oil and set it over high heat. When the oil is just barely smoking add the meat, lower the heat slightly, and sear the steaks (in batches if necessary) for 4-5 minutes on each side for medium rare.



Transfer the meat to a cutting board and tent with foil. Lower the heat to medium and add the vinegar - it will bubble furiously, and the fumes will be sharp at first. Raise the heat and bring the vinegar to a boil. Continue boiling and stirring until vinegar is reduced - about 5 minutes. Stir in any juices collected from the meat. Cut the steaks into 1/4 inch thick slices. Portion the arugula onto four plates and arrange the meat slices on top. Spoon the sauce over the meat and greens and serve.



I served ours with corn on the cob and potatoes. Enjoy!

No comments: