Sunday, May 24, 2009

Easy Fresh Tomato Sauce


(Last photo with my phone, I promise!)

This is a very basic and quick tomato sauce that you can alter to your tastes. I found this recipe a few years ago on allrecipes.com, where else?! I love allrecipes because you can read other people's reviews to see what they thought of the recipe and any changes they made. I've found a lot of great recipes on that site!

Basic ingredients:
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 tomatoes, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato puree
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
In a large skillet over medium heat, cook onion in olive oil until translucent. Stir in tomatoes, cook until juice begins to thicken. Stir in puree, salt and pepper.

Here is where you should taste the sauce and see what you think it needs. I added oregano, italian seasoning, basil, about half the can of the puree. I also sauteed some mushrooms in butter and white wine and tossed in with the tomato sauce as well. Nothing was measured, just tasting as I went until I was happy with the end result. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes more, until rich and thick.

I served this sauce over a linguine I bought at Trader Joe's with toasted bread and a salad. Next time I think I would serve it over rigatoni instead. Enjoy!

No comments: