Broth is an excellent source of minerals and is
known to boost the immune system and improve digestion. After being
diagnosed with Hashimoto's I started
drinking or using bone broth on a regular basis. I don’t drink it by
itself anymore but always use it if I can to make all of my soups.
Ingredients:
2 pounds or more of bones. Whole Foods carries raw
beef bones in their frozen section. For chicken, I use carcass’s
we've cooked. I just put them in the freezer until I have 2. I
do the same with turkey bones.
1 onion
2 carrots
2 celery stalks
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon sea salt
1 teaspoon peppercorns
2 cloves of garlic for the last 30 minutes of cooking (I
always forget this step!)
1 gallon of water per 2 pounds of bones
Directions:
If you are using raw bones, especially beef bones, it
improves flavor to roast them in the oven first. I place them in a roasting pan
and roast for 30 minutes at 350. If you are using scrap bones you've
saved in the freezer you can skip this step.
Place the bones in a large stock pot or instant pot. Pour water
over the bones and add the vinegar. Let sit for 20-30 minutes in the cool
water. The acid helps make the nutrients in the bones more available. Rough chop and add the vegetables, except the
garlic to the pot. Add salt and peppercorns.
Now, if you are using an instant pot, which I recommend, you
put the lid on and set to cook for 60 minutes to 2 hours. The longer it cooks the more the minerals in
the bones break down and get into the broth.
If you are on a time crunch, just do the 60 minutes. Natural release for 30 minutes.
If you are using a
pot on the stove, you want to bring the
broth to a boil. Once it has reached a vigorous boil, reduce to a simmer and
simmer until done. Any froth that appears at the top, scrape off. I
don't ever have any with the organic/grass fed bones. For beef stock cook
48 hours. For chicken stock cook 24 hours. I start mine on the
stove until it has simmered quite a while. Once I need to leave the house
or go to bed I switch it to a crockpot and finish the cook in there. During
the last 30 minutes, add the garlic.
Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Strain using a strainer to remove all the bits of bone and vegetable. When cool enough, store in glass mason jars in the fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze for later use.

No comments:
Post a Comment