Sunday, April 23, 2023

Strawberry Shortcake Cake

















I know you say this isn't one of your favorite cakes but we made it so much, I thought you'd like to know how to make it.  This is probably the easiest cake you'll ever make. When you were were 9 we went to Lauren's birthday party. You had a gluten free cupcake and the birthday girl had a cake that looked sort of like this and you were swooning over it. I thought, I bet I could do that gluten and dairy free. You had your doubts, but that next weekend I gave it a try and it became on of your and Rowyn's favorite cakes! It was always a big hit to make when company comes over and always a cake we make when strawberries are in season.

I used a gluten free King Arthur’s yellow cake mix. Bake in two 8 or 9” round pans.  Bake as directed but cook about 5 minutes less than what the directions suggest.  Let cool. Slice fresh strawberries and sprinkle with sugar to bring out juices. Layer strawberries on cooled cake. Spread dairy free whipped topping (or regular for you now) on top of the strawberries. Place second cake on top, repeat with another layer of strawberries. Cover entire cake with whipped topping.  I always placed a few cut strawberries on top to make it look pretty. :) 

No comments: